Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A1C Checkup

The last time we went to a check up with Caid's endocrinologist was not a fabulous one. We left frustrated and stressed. Her A1C is a number they give you that shows basically an average of what her blood sugars have been for the last 3 months. For her age they want her to be between 7.5-8.5, the lower the better. For the last 4 visits she has been 8.2, 8.0, 7.8, 8.0. These have been good and stable, but when we went to our last appointment we were told we were doing great at keeping her stable, but our new goal was to get her to 7.5. We were told if we couldn't get her down we would have to consider getting her a pump, which because of our insurance, was not an option. Our insurance wouldn't cover it and they are VERY expensive. Well, I have had to change her diet to get her numbers down. This has meant only eating carbs at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Any snack had to be carb free, or very low carbs. I've had to be a lot more diligent at checking her sugars more and helping her understand what foods she can eat at snack time that are sugar free. The anxiety I felt all morning before her appointment was terrible. I knew I'd done as much as I could, but I was hoping we wouldn't get there and find out her numbers were still too high and that we'd have to figure out how to pay for a pump. And not to mention we had the "Sugar Babies" cameras filming and I definitely didn't want it filmed if we hadn't succeeded. So, with great relief and shock, we heard the great news that Caid's A1C is 7.2 and she definitely is healthy and does not need a pump! Now I will go eat my white chocolate Reese's egg in the corner where she can't see me and celebrate.

2 comments:

The Circus said...

Ah, Michelle, way to go. I can't even imagine how much work that must be to have to work with a specific diet. I'm so bad at doing that. I make what I want and like.
You're amazing!

Jami said...

I know there are a lot of things with diabetes that are just not in your control, but since day one I've been so impressed with how dedicated you are to doing everything within your control to keep her healthy. You are doing a great job, Mama! You should feel very proud of yourself!