Sunday, October 23, 2011

Gluten Free+Sugar Free=Taste Free

Okay that's a bit dramatic. But if you know me, you know how much I love food. I eat because I enjoy it and I want to eat what I enjoy. I'm not as healthy as I would like to be sometimes, but I believe in eating what will satisfy me, not what will just fill me up until the next meal. So, with that said, I haven't been the best wife when it comes to cooking for Zach. He has Celiac and has to be on a Gluten Free diet. When we were first married, I tried making multiple loaves of homemade bread...that all came out looking and feeling like a brick. I tried making him dinner by converting recipes I had to GF, but they tasted gross. I tried new GF recipes, but some were good, some were a complete fail. We basically ended up eating tacos for our whole first year of marriage. Once I gave up trying to make disastrous dinners, (not to mention Zach works til 9:00 most nights so we always had late dinners) we finally got to the point where we'd make our own dinners. He goes through about 5 dozen eggs by himself every month since his dinner of choice is scrambled eggs with corn tortillas.

Then we had kids. One ended up with Diabetes so my whole mindset on food became counting carbs. Making sure she's getting enough carbs, but not too many. Making sure she gets enough insulin to balance out the carbs. Making sure that if her sugar is low, she gets enough carbs to bring her sugar up. Then when we think we've gotten that figured out, child number two thinks she needs more attention. :) Jordyn has been little from the start. But at her last appt she was only in the 5th percentile. Also, the last two weeks she has been grabbing her stomach crying and had diarrhea. All symptons Zach had growing up. We haven't confirmed it with the dr yet, but we are going to take Jordyn off Gluten for a while and see how she does. But this means I am now GF. If you are or have ever been a mother of a small child you know you cannot eat a meal without them wanting it. Even if you get them their own plate with the same food, yours tastes better. So...here's to experimenting with new GF recipes and finding food to satisfy, not just fill! If anyone has any recipes that you have actually tried and work and taste delicious, pass them on!!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Well I make most food gluten free for my girls, they have a hard time telling the difference. You should try the pancake recipe on my food blog. I have not attempted GF loaf bread yet, but when I do (and if it turns out ok) I will pass it your way! Sorry to hear about Jordan :( I bet eating this way will help though!

The Circus said...

Gosh, I hope you can find a good recipe blog or something to help you out. I love your guts.

Cindy said...

You should talk to Ted and Meg. They have found a lot of good GF resources and websites. Good luck!