Friday, February 25, 2011

Sugar Babies

We were approached by a mom of one of Zach's tennis students about being in a documentary that she is filming called "Sugar Babies." Jenny Mackenzie is a fabulous documentary filmmaker with one of her films currently on HBO, winning numerous awards. All the films she has done so far have been short films, but "Sugar Babies" has been in production for 3 years and is going to be her first full length movie. The goal is to finish it this fall and hopefully get it into Sundance. It is about Diabetes in youth today and Caidence is one of her subjects. Lizzy is Zach's student (seen in the picture below) and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 4 and she is now 13. We met her down in St. George last weekend for a tournament and her and Caid instantly clicked. She told us she would love to babysit anytime which would be nice to have someone watching her that knows so much about how to take care of her.Jenny came over to film for a few hours yesterday and I got Caidence all dolled up for her camera time. I told her not to take her hair out until after she is done filming and please stay clean and pretty for at least an hour! The second Jenny left, Caid ripped that bow right out of her hair. At least she did what I said and left it in during filming. Jenny interviewed me and Zach and got our stories and then we left and gave her some time alone with Caid so that she wouldn't try and be goofy in front of us and actually answer some questions. Jenny said she did great, but if she ever reasked a question because she couldn't hear her or something, Caid would say "I already told you" and would refuse to answer again. I'm excited to see the finished product because we weren't around to see Caid at all so it will be a surprise for us!
Jord was great and slept thru the whole filming process, until we woke her up so we could be filmed "eating lunch together as a family." Awkward eating on camera...
After a few hours of filming, I felt the same way.
jennymackenziefilms.com Here is the link to Jenny's website which talks about some of her documentaries.
sugarbabiesthemovie.com The official "Sugar Babies" website where you can see the trailer to the film.

3 comments:

Ashleyl said...

Wow! What a great opportunity for you to share your story. Caid looks so cute, where did you get her shoes?

Michelle said...

Off ebay. :) Every once in a while I can find a killer deal!

Kristi said...

you have the cutest kids. EVER.