Sunday, December 12, 2010

Live Nativity

I was on the committee for the Ward Christmas party this year. We wanted to do something different than the usual dinner and reading the Nativity story. We heard about the Live Nativity that they do every year out in Riverton and found out that you can rent the animals. We read the Nativity story, but had all the kids dressed as angels or shepherds and had a manger built, AND we had a donkey, sheep, goats, and a camel. It turned out wonderful and heard it was the best Christmas party they had been to from a lot of people...
But my dad came home from church today with the inside scoop. He was talking to the Bishop and found out what had happened the day after the party:

This weekend was Stake Conference so there was a crew that went in to clean the church. When they got there, they noticed camel poo smeared on the carpet. They called the head of the cleanup and told him to come look at the church. He then called the Stake President who happens to be in his Ward and told him to come down and look at his church building. Well, at this point there is a member of our Ward that works at the Church Office Building who had been to the party and was hearing people all over the Church Office Building talking about some Ward that had a party with camels and had camel crap all over their church. So the Stake President, Pres. Mantyla, calls our Bishop and asks if he has a minute to talk. He says "So I hear you had a party last night." Bishop: "Yeah we did." Pres.: "And I hear there's camel poop on the carpet?" Bishop: "Yeah we have someone coming to clean the carpets today." Pres: "So you had a camel in the church?" Bishop: "President, I looked through the entire handbook and nowhere did it say no livestock were allowed in the church." Pres.: "Well, you're right. I couldn't find it anywhere in the handbook either."

My dad said the Bishop was laughing through the entire story. Only our Bishop would let us get away with something like this.

2 comments:

Vic, Linds, and the girls... said...

OH MY HECK!!! I am so embarassed. I might not ever be able to come back to church again. lol I can't believe that....... WOW. so embarassed.. But I want a copy of your pictures bc i didn't take any.... SO is our ward in trouble????

Nicole Brown said...

That is the most awesome thing I have ever heard! I am now moving to Murray (I'm sure your parents have a spare room) and attending your ward! Haha camel poo in church.. I am crying I am laughing so hard. The best parties are the ones that almost get you in trouble :)