Friday, August 5, 2011

One year ago today...

...we had one very sick little girl. I still remember all of the feelings from that day, taking her to the doctor, just to be sent straight to the hospital where we would spend the next few days. Her begging me to take her home and not have to get anymore shots. It has been a long challenging year, but Caid has been the bravest little girl in the world! We've had many late nights trying to get her blood sugar up before I'd let her go to sleep. And if you've ever seen her when she's low, you know how hard it can be and how little reasoning you can do with a toddler. She's also had many opportunities from this. She's filmed a documentary, made new friends, and shown us the strength she has. I used to dread giving her shots because she would cry in pain every time. Now she just walks up to me and assumes position (bum straight up in the air!) and then runs off to play when she's done. I keep telling her we might get her a pump and she says she doesn't want one cuz she likes her shots. One of my favorite things is to watch her pick up a box and look at the nutrition label to read it and tells me "Yep, mom, this has sugar in it!" She has no idea what she's reading, but she knows that's what I always do. The other day I took her and Jordyn to get a treat at 7-11. I told them they couldn't eat it until after lunch. Caid asked me if I was going to check Jordyn's blood sugar before she ate her candy and I explained to her that Jordyn didn't have Diabetes so I didn't have to check. Caid answered "Ugh, why'd I have to get Diabetes?" I hope she doesn't always feel this way and doesn't feel bitter that she has it when her friends and family don't. She's been so brave and I know she'll continue to be strong. I'm so glad we caught it when we did before she got any sicker.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I can't believe it's been a year. What a trooper that little stink is!