Thursday, December 15, 2011

Franklin 5/8/09-12/10/11

We had to put our sweet, dopey, cuddly lap dog Franklin to sleep this past weekend. We've only had him for 2 years, but this summer he started having issues biting. Not a big deal if it's some little 5 pound dog biting, pretty big deal if it's a 130 pound dog biting. On the weekend of the 4th of July we were at our cabin with the whole family and amidst all the chaos, he bit my sister and dad over food, and then during a water balloon fight, bit my brother in law. The first two weren't terrible, but Kolby ended up having to get stitches. We decided to put him to sleep right after that, but couldn't go through with it and started taking him to a trainer for some detox. We started crate training, not letting him on the couch, basically showing him he isn't an equal and that we are in charge. He had been doing really well but then this past month he started getting overly protective of the girls and snapped at me twice when I was playing with Jordyn, apparently thinking I was hurting her. We couldn't risk anyone getting seriously injured, especially one of the kids so it was time to say goodbye. And yes, I am already looking for another dog. It definitely won't be any time soon (ok we'll see) and I'm sure we'll have to go smaller this time around, at least until we have a yard to let him loose in, but I definitely miss that dopey dog putting his head in my lap and laying on my feet.

No comments: